Everywhere we look, we are bombarded with images/messages that tell us what new trend we have to buy/wear to look more in style. Celebrity influencers, designers, stylists-they all have an opinion. This presents a real challenge. How do you begin to filter out all the noise? And in the end, whose opinion matters? Only yours. A great way to start the process of refreshing your “look,” is to observe.
TIP #1: BE CURIOUS
Set your daily intention to look around and really see what’s going on. Pay more attention to the people and things around you. Use this list to help you become more comfortable with a style reset.
Important tip: I suggest you work through this list BEFORE you even look in your closet.
- Do you see a new color that appeals to you (what is on the mannequin in your favorite shop? What are the newest nail polish colors at your salon? Do you see shoes/handbags/jewelry in a new color? What’s on the cover of your favorite catalog-are the models wearing a certain color?)
- Are you stuck in a time warp? Take a look at the fashion from the year you graduated from college. In my case, some things from 1975 continue to have influence, but wear with care. Not everything that goes around and comes back around will be right for you this time around.
- Check out style blogs (there are many out there-filter by your age or lifestyle to get closer to what you might like) make notes or subscribe to one that really speaks to you
- Watch some “how to” videos on Youtube.com (again-filter by age or lifestyle.) Bookmark one that you feel understands you.
- Follow my boards on Pinterest . I search several times a day for stylish pins so you don’t have to.
- Search through Pinterest and Instagram using search terms like: fashion, style, etc. Follow at least one board that inspires you.
Let me know what you think, what you found that made a difference, suggestions and what else you need.
Follow this blog for more tips and insights.