Invitations to holiday parties may fill you with dread. All that dressing up, wearing lipstick and even high heels. It can be very intimidating. I think this is one of those things that if we can just shift how we look at it a teensy bit, it can actually be fun. A little thoughtful planning ahead of time just might do the trick.
- Take a look at what you already have in your closet-is there something that always makes you feel good? Confident? Pretty? Start there.
- Think of wearing something red-maybe a blouse? Shawl? Handbag? Lipstick? I have one red shawl that I only wear during the holidays. (You may already know I don’t wear red-but I make an exception this time of year. lol.)
- Does that item need a little update? Does it fit well? Would adding a belt do the trick? Have it shortened? Some simple alteration? Take it to a tailor, try it on for them with the undergarments, shoes, etc. that you will be wearing with it. You’ve got time.
- Do you usually live in flats? Heels feel insecure? Then either wear low heels or if the look you want or the event really requires a heel, wear them around the house several times before the party. Get your bearings. Don’t just put them on and dash out-you won’t feel at ease.
- Accessories-they can make all the difference in the world. And adding a bold statement earring or a festive scarf doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Use jewelry to draw attention away from an outfit you’ve worn before-make it new again with something bold.
- Make-up. Not a fan? No worries. Pick up a new tube of lipstick, maybe in a flattering shade of red. You’ll be surprised at how it will perk up your party mood. And take a look on youtube.com. They have tons of make-up tutorials for different age groups.
- Everyone is usually focused on themselves. Notice what someone else is wearing-let them know you like their earrings or blouse (only if it’s genuine!) and see how much more at ease YOU feel.
This is a great time to look at each invitation as a chance to meet new people, change up your look just a little, and have fun. After all, you were invited! Enjoy!